Tuesday 19 October 2010

Revelations

After having read some intereting information regarding Fair Trade, I've come to realise that I misinterpreted the concept of fair trade and local produce in the UK. As you may remember for my first blog I questioned the idea of the support of international charities over UK farmers selling local produce. The fair trade website makes it's standpoint very clear and I feel I need to post this for everyone to clear up misconceptions.

While the Fair Trade Foundation is fully aware of the need for support for UK farmers growing local produce, the aim of the organisation is to actually in support of struggling farmers in Third World countries growing tropical produce. Such example include coffee and bananas which have a tendency to grow more in the Third World countries at a larger scale compared to the EU countries like UK.

Then again, the question that still pops up in my head is what is actually being done to help support farmers in UK and other EU countries facing similar issues to those in the Third World countries. This is something I aim to find out in due course.

Stay tuned for updates!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Mee.
    I'm the lead writer who read you essay on Third workshop
    I'm sorry, I didn't comment much on your essay.
    Because I'm not a good commentator, I don't really know what would be a good expectation for a good essay. This is my first time ever in my life to comment on other people work. I don't want to based it on mine.
    But from what I have seen your essay, paragraph, footnote, bibliography, and how you referencing things. I can tell that you group are really well prepare and work really hard on it. I give you 10 for that.
    Reading your essay is like reading a book for me, your essay refer to many things, just like a book. It a bit complicated for me to understand. I mean my english skill is not that good, it might be my own problem.
    However, complicated is not a bad thing, most of the books are complicated, but you have to read it and think about it for a while to understand it. You know, I wish I could write something like yours. That is why, I said it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Puvanai. It means a lot to us as we are trying our best like everyone else. I am sorry it is not too easy for you to follow our work. With time, it will come. Perhaps it means my group and I should write a little more clearer next time. It's very good of you to point this out to me.

    We really enjoyed your presentation especially the graph. Really impressive stuff. Keep it up, we are all learning at the end of the day and we're here to make mistakes and learn from them.

    Here's to wishing you a good weekend and success on the LLM course. Take care.

    ReplyDelete