Wednesday 3 November 2010

Sex trafficking re-explored ...

 After having read Silia's latest post and a comment from a fellow colleague from Thailand, I thought it fitting to put my personal thoughts on the matter in the form of a new post on my blog. I know this is completely off topic from terrorism and international trade but I hope you enjoy this;

Scandinavian countries have proved to be doing their fair share of work and for this, they must be applauded. On the other hand, whilst I was very happy to read about this, there is still heavy human trafficking taking place in the Middle east. Perhaps the media has made me more aware of the Middle East all of a sudden and I do not mean to be judgmental but there are so many Russian and east European prostitutes out there. They are promised jobs over the internet and when they arrive to the country to work, they have their legal credentials such as passports taken away from them and they are foced to succumb to prostitution. The reality is, most countries are making an effort to stop such violation of human rights but there are some, who just refuse to, even if, ironically, it is against their own fate. I apologise if this comment has offended anyone. It was made purely without malice aforethought.

On another note, regarding the previous commentor from Thailand, as I am aware Bangkok is notoriously known for it's vibrant night life of 'SIN CITY', I am unsure as to why the Thai government legalises prostitution in the first place. Isn't this providing a breeding ground for those 'rich' countries to engage in human trafficking and prostitution. I mean, if it's all legal in Thailand, who is to more to blame here? Hmmm.. I agree education means something, but what I gather from the situation is this, if people are educated, work hard, earn money and have a right to spend it on 'enjoyment' in whatever form it may be, then why stop them? I am not defending these people, I am merely saying it's no more their fault than it is the Thai Government for legalising prostitution.
Again, I apologise for offending you or any reader of this post. It is purely my opinion and you are free to comment and disagree if you would like to.

2 comments:

  1. Here I am! Even though I was following your posts on terrorism very closely because it has been on the news quite often in the past week, it's very interesting to read your thoughts on my topic.

    I am happy you raised the topic of the Middle East and Eastern Europe, as the same situation occurs in my country (Cyprus) as well. We call it "trade of white flesh" and the police has been battling against it for years and prostitution IS illegal, yet the problem does not cease to exist. I should add that I am impressed how well you know the details of this problem, as I thought only the people from the countries concerned would know so much, since not much information leaks out.

    As for the second issue, yes I do agree that we can't say anything against the people taking advantage of something that is legalised in their countries, but that does not make them any better. To their defence, these people tend to say that the prostitutes have chosen this path in life, therefore they are not exploiting them by using their services. This is only true for a tiny proportion, even in developed countries. In their majority, they have been forced to choose due to hardships in life or they have simply been forced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Silia,

    Those were some good thoughtful comments especially concerning the latter part my post concerning legalised prostitution. You'd be surprised on how much knowledge gets leaked out, even in the smallest nations of the world, like my home, the Seychelles.

    I fully appreciate and support your perspective on the issue. However, I'm still of the view that legalising the whole trade is laying the foundations for all such evil to take place in the world. Thanks for your comments. Perhaps when we meet in person we can discuss this at length as this is a topic I find quite enthralling.

    ReplyDelete